Emergency Hotline:


24 hours a day / 7 days a week



24 horas del día / 7 días de la semana (24/7)

What is an Emergency?

Gas leaks, odor of gas, damaged lines, carbon monoxide symptoms and water main breaks are all considered emergencies.

If you smell gas, do not attempt to locate the leak. Instead, leave the house or building right away. Do not use any electrical switches, appliances, lights, telephones, or mobile devices, as an electrical charge could create a spark. When you are in a safe place, call M.U.D.'s emergency hotline at 402.554.7777 or 9-1-1.

If someone is showing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, call 9-1-1 immediately. Symptoms are like the flu.

If you have a water-related emergency, call 402.554.7777. Our personnel are ready to assist you 24/7. When in doubt, call us immediately.


Las fugas de gas, el olor a gas, las tuberías de gas dañadas, los síntomas de monóxido de carbono y roturas en las tuberías principales de agua son consideradas emergencias.

Si huele a gas, NO trate de localizar la fuga/escape. Al contrario, abandone la casa o el edificio inmediatamente. No utilice los interruptores eléctricos, electrodomésticos, luces, teléfonos o equipos móviles, ya que una carga eléctrica podría provocar una chispa. Una vez que se encuentre en un lugar seguro, entonces llame a la línea directa de emergencia de M.U.D. al 402.554.7777 o al 9-1-1.

Si alguien tiene síntomas de envenenamiento causados por el monóxido de carbono, llame al 9-1-1 inmediatamente. Los síntomas son como los de la gripe/catarro.

Si tiene una emergencia relacionada con el agua, llame al 402.554.7777. Nuestro personal está listo para ayudarle, 24/7. Cuando dude o crea que hay una emergencia, llámenos de inmediato.

Learn More
Metropolitain Utilites District
I want to:


Water >>Safety >> Lead

What can Congress do to help reduce exposure to lead in drinking water?

Congress currently defines “lead-free” as 8% lead content. Instead, Congress should make illegal the manufacture of faucets and fixtures contributing to lead exposure. This would reduce the amount of lead in drinking water.

Can my water be tested for lead?

If you are concerned about elevated lead levels in your home’s water, you may want to have your water tested. We will test unknown service lines installed prior to 1940 at no charge. Call M.U.D. Customer Service at 402.554.6666 to request a test. 

Note: Flushing the tap for 30 seconds to a minute before using your tap water will clear the line of any lead that may have leached into the water while the line was idle. Regular removal and cleaning of the aerator on the faucet spout may reduce exposure to lead as well as bacteriological contaminants.

Additional information is available from the Safe Drinking Water Hotline, call 800.426.4791, visit their website, or call Nebraska Health & Human Services Division of Public Health, Office of Drinking Water, 402.471.2541. 

Water >> Service and Repair

What is a stop box?

The stop box is part of your water service. It is the small round metal box usually set in or near the sidewalk that provides emergency water shut off to your home or business. Properly maintained, the top of the box remains flush with the sidewalk or ground. If the stop box is not flush with the sidewalk or ground, it creates a hazardous safety condition and exposes you to potential legal liability. Please repair it or contact a master plumber. When the repair has been made, call us at 402.554.6666 to inspect it.

How does the District find out about water leaks?

Generally, customers will see water where they don't expect it to be. They contact us at 402.554.6666 to help determine the source of the water.

Our employees also may report potential problems. Some leaks are detected during routine maintenance on the water system. Not all leaks appear on the surface. Some can only be detected using special equipment.

A leaking water service requires prompt attention to get it shut off or fixed. If the leak causes damage or an accident, the property owner may have liability exposure for not attending to the situation in a timely manner.

I have a leaking water service. What should I do?

Contact a licensed master plumber. When repairs are complete, the plumber should contact us to make arrangements to have the repairs inspected. We do not make referrals for master plumbers.

What happens if I choose not to make a water leak repair in the allotted time?

  1. If repairs are not made in the allotted time, the District has the authority to shut off the water service to stop the leak.
  2. If the leak is between the main and the stop box, the shut off will be made at the corporation to the water main.
  3. If the leak is between the stop box and the premises, an attempt will be made to shut the service off at the stop box.
  4. If the stop box is inoperable and the owner does not repair it, it will be shut off at the main.

What happens if a water leak repair must be done immediately?

If a water service leak is causing a safety hazard, such as icing on the street, we attempt to contact you to take immediate action. If we do not reach you or you do not take immediate action, we shut off the service. The cost of this work is billed to the responsible party.

What happens if M.U.D. contracts with a plumber to shut off the service at the main?

If the work is not completed within the allotted time period, we contract a licensed master plumber to shut off the service. The work is scheduled in seven to 10 working days. You are notified as to who will do the work and when.

If you decide to have the work done by your plumber, it must be completed before our contracted plumber arrives on site. If you contract with the District's plumber to do the repair work, the agreement and payment will be between you and the plumber.

Keep in mind that all the District's contracted plumber will do is dig to the water main and shut off the service at the corporation. The excavation would be left open for four days.

If no one contacts the District's plumber to complete the repairs, the plumber will fill the excavation, and if needed, have the street or sidewalk repaired. This work is billed to M.U.D. by the plumber. The District then bills the property owner.

What other issues should I consider when having a water leak repaired?

If the service supplies water to more than one premise, such as two houses, decisions are between the parties involved. You need to work with the other parties to determine who pays what and who is responsible for what.

If your plumber finds the water main is leaking, not the service, we will repair the water main. You may file a claim with M.U.D.'s legal department for charges billed to you by your plumber. The determination of whether the claim will be honored will be made on a case by case basis.

If your property does not front a water main, or your water service is not connected to the water main that fronts your property, you may have a "private water service line." Rules governing private water service lines are slightly different than for a regular water service. Depending upon the extent of the repair, there may be additional administrative requirements and fees that must be paid before repairs can be done. Your plumber can advise you.

About Us

Who sets gas and water rates?

The M.U.D. Board of Directors sets the water rates and the non-gas or fixed base part of the gas rate. The fixed base rate covers costs for operation, maintenance and administration of gas plants and mains.

The gas part of the rate, which fluctuates every month depending on the price at the wellhead, goes to buy natural gas. This cost is passed on directly to you.

We also provide a cost-saving service to cities in our service area by collecting sewer and trash pick-up fees. M.U.D. directors do not set these fees. They are set by the cities.

Who sets sewer and trash fees?

Each municipality sets its sewer use rates. Municipalities include: Bellevue, Bennington, Gretna, La Vista, Omaha (including the unincorporated portion of Douglas County), Ralston and Sarpy County.

Metropolitan Utilities District is the billing agent that invoices and collects sewer use fees and provides them back to the municipalities. The combined bill eliminates duplication, resulting in a cost savings to both sewer users and M.U.D. ratepayers. Residential sewer rates are the total of two charges:

The combined bill eliminates duplication, resulting in a cost savings to both sewer users and M.U.D. ratepayers. Residential sewer rates are the total of two charges:

  1. Customer Charge (fixed monthly fee)
  2. Flow Charge (varies with usage)

The monthly sewer use fee during the winter season is based on the actual amount of water used. The winter season will encompass four billing cycles, starting with the M.U.D. December billing schedule and ending with the March billing schedule. The four winter billing cycles are averaged to determine a base monthly usage level to be used during the non-winter period when calculating your sewer fees. In some instances, the base monthly usage level may be reviewed and adjusted as appropriate.

During the non-winter period, from April's billing schedule through November's billing schedule, the sewer use fee is calculated by using either 1) the actual water use during that specific billing cycle, or 2) the base monthly usage level (the average of the four winter billing cycles), WHICHEVER IS LESS. Remember, your water use in the winter can impact your bills throughout the year.

If you have an emergency, such as a flooded basement, which may be related to the sewer system, contact your city's public works department. In Omaha, the phone number is 402.444.5332.

When does the Board of Directors meet?

The board generally meets the first Wednesday of every month at the headquarters at 7350 World Communications Drive. Committee and regular meetings are open to the public. Check the website for meeting information and agendas.

Who owns M.U.D.?

We are a public utility and are proud to be customer-owned. The District is governed by a board of seven directors, elected by our customer-owners.

What cities does M.U.D. serve?

We serve natural gas to more than 237,000 customer-owners in Omaha, Bennington, Fort Calhoun, Springfield, Yutan and 85 percent of Bellevue.

We also provide safe drinking water to more than 222,000 customers in Omaha, Bellevue, Bennington, Carter Lake, LaVista, Ralston, Waterloo and the Papio-Missouri Natural Resources District (which supplies water to Fort Calhoun).

The District serves a metro area population of more than 700,000 people.