Emergency Hotline:


24 hours a day / 7 days a week



24 horas del día / 7 días de la semana (24/7)

What is an Emergency?

Gas leaks, odor of gas, damaged lines, carbon monoxide symptoms and water main breaks are all considered emergencies.

If you smell gas, do not attempt to locate the leak. Instead, leave the house or building right away. Do not use any electrical switches, appliances, lights, telephones, or mobile devices, as an electrical charge could create a spark. When you are in a safe place, call M.U.D.'s emergency hotline at 402.554.7777 or 9-1-1.

If someone is showing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, call 9-1-1 immediately. Symptoms are like the flu.

If you have a water-related emergency, call 402.554.7777. Our personnel are ready to assist you 24/7. When in doubt, call us immediately.


Las fugas de gas, el olor a gas, las tuberías de gas dañadas, los síntomas de monóxido de carbono y roturas en las tuberías principales de agua son consideradas emergencias.

Si huele a gas, NO trate de localizar la fuga/escape. Al contrario, abandone la casa o el edificio inmediatamente. No utilice los interruptores eléctricos, electrodomésticos, luces, teléfonos o equipos móviles, ya que una carga eléctrica podría provocar una chispa. Una vez que se encuentre en un lugar seguro, entonces llame a la línea directa de emergencia de M.U.D. al 402.554.7777 o al 9-1-1.

Si alguien tiene síntomas de envenenamiento causados por el monóxido de carbono, llame al 9-1-1 inmediatamente. Los síntomas son como los de la gripe/catarro.

Si tiene una emergencia relacionada con el agua, llame al 402.554.7777. Nuestro personal está listo para ayudarle, 24/7. Cuando dude o crea que hay una emergencia, llámenos de inmediato.

Learn More
Metropolitain Utilites District
I want to:

Water taste and odor

Some Metropolitan Utilities District customers have contacted us to ask why the water seems to taste different. We are experiencing spring runoff from the upper tributaries of the Missouri River. Flooding, increased snow melt and rainfall are contributing factors.


Although the District has not increased the amount of chlorine in the water, we have increased the amount of time the chlorine is exposed to the water before converting it to chloramines. This may cause changes in taste and odor, however the water is still safe to drink. We expect this runoff and treatment process to continue for several weeks.


If you have questions or concerns, please contact Customer Service at 402.554.6666.


Also, try these tips:

  • If the tap has not been used in more than a half hour, then flush water through the faucet for 30 seconds up to 2 minutes before using it.

  • Remove and clean the faucet aerators (also called screens) on a regular basis. To clean the faucet screen of debris:

  1. Unscrew the screen.

  2. Separate the individual parts.

  3. Remove any sediment (mineral or rust build up) on the screen and other parts. If necessary, soak the parts in white vinegar for a few minutes and scrub with a brush.

  4. Reassemble the screen parts and re-attach to the faucet.