Emergency Hotline:


24 hours a day / 7 days a week



24 horas del día / 7 días de la semana (24/7)

What is an Emergency?

Gas leaks, odor of gas, damaged lines, carbon monoxide symptoms and water main breaks are all considered emergencies.

If you smell gas, do not attempt to locate the leak. Instead, leave the house or building right away. Do not use any electrical switches, appliances, lights, telephones, or mobile devices, as an electrical charge could create a spark. When you are in a safe place, call M.U.D.'s emergency hotline at 402.554.7777 or 9-1-1.

If someone is showing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, call 9-1-1 immediately. Symptoms are like the flu.

If you have a water-related emergency, call 402.554.7777. Our personnel are ready to assist you 24/7. When in doubt, call us immediately.


Las fugas de gas, el olor a gas, las tuberías de gas dañadas, los síntomas de monóxido de carbono y roturas en las tuberías principales de agua son consideradas emergencias.

Si huele a gas, NO trate de localizar la fuga/escape. Al contrario, abandone la casa o el edificio inmediatamente. No utilice los interruptores eléctricos, electrodomésticos, luces, teléfonos o equipos móviles, ya que una carga eléctrica podría provocar una chispa. Una vez que se encuentre en un lugar seguro, entonces llame a la línea directa de emergencia de M.U.D. al 402.554.7777 o al 9-1-1.

Si alguien tiene síntomas de envenenamiento causados por el monóxido de carbono, llame al 9-1-1 inmediatamente. Los síntomas son como los de la gripe/catarro.

Si tiene una emergencia relacionada con el agua, llame al 402.554.7777. Nuestro personal está listo para ayudarle, 24/7. Cuando dude o crea que hay una emergencia, llámenos de inmediato.

Learn More
Metropolitain Utilites District
I want to:

Mains and Services: What's Yours, What's Ours?

Natural gas delivery

natural gas service responsibilities

Natural gas is delivered to neighborhoods through gas mains in the street and then fed to individual homes and businesses through underground service lines. 

Gas Main: Pipe laid in or along a street. The main usually is one inch or more in diameter. M.U.D. is responsible for maintenance, repair and location of the mains.

Gas Service Line: Most customers have a gas service—the line laid from your house to the main. If the main is across the street, the service may run under the street. M.U.D. owns and maintains the gas service line.

Gas Meter: Measures the volume of gas used. M.U.D. owns the gas meter and maintains it. We must have access to the meter for readings and maintenance. We replace the meter if it is defective.

Fuel Lines: The property owner owns and is responsible for the fuel lines on the “house side” of the meter. The fuel line begins after the meter. Some fuel lines are installed underground. If an underground fuel line is not maintained, it may be subject to potential hazards of corrosion (rust) and leaks. 

  1. Inspect the buried fuel line periodically for leaks.
  2. If the buried fuel line is metal, inspect it periodically for corrosion.
  3. Repair any unsafe condition.

Contact a qualified plumber or heating contractor to provide location, inspection and repair services for buried fuel lines. M.U.D. does not repair or locate customer-owned fuel lines.

Contact 811 before you dig

When excavating near a buried service line, ensure the line is located in advance and excavate by hand. You are required to contact Nebraska 811 at least two business days (but not more than 10 business days) before excavating or disturbing the soil, even in your own backyard! The underground utilities in your excavation area will be located and marked. Submit requests online at www.ne1call.com, or call 811 or 800.331.5666. 

Smell gas? Leave fast! 

If you damage a line or suspect a possible gas leak, leave the area and from a safe distance, call M.U.D.’s 24-hour emergency number at 402.554.7777 or 911.

Excess flow valves

You may request that M.U.D. install an Excess Flow Valve (EFV), a mechanical shut-off device on the natural gas service line to your property. The EFV is installed on the service pipeline that runs underground between the gas main and the gas meter on your property. 

What does an EFV do? An EFV is designed to significantly reduce the flow of gas if the service line outside of the structure becomes damaged, lessening the possibility of a natural gas fire, explosion, personal injury and/or property damage.

EFVs are NOT designed to close if a leak occurs beyond the gas meter (on house piping or appliances). EFVs also may not close if the leak on the service line is small. If you add gas appliances, like a pool heater or emergency generator, there is a possibility that the additional gas flow may cause the EFV to close.

Do I have an EFV? Federal law did not require EFVs to be installed on newly constructed homes until June 2008. If your home was built before June 2008, you most likely do not have an EFV installed on the service line to your home. EFVs are installed on most new or replaced services lines built since June 2008. 

To find out if you already have an EFV on your service line, call Customer Service at 402.554.6666 (Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m.-5:15 p.m.).

How do I have an EFV installed? Customers who want to have an EFV installed on their service line that was installed prior to June 2008 may do so at their expense. If you notify us that you want an EFV, we will contact you to set up a mutually agreeable date to install it. You will be responsible for the installation cost of $800 (installment plans are available).

Note: EFVs cannot be installed on some service lines due to high gas flow, low distribution system pressure or other factors. Each situation will be evaluated upon request.

Water mains and service lines

water service responsibilities

Main: The large pipe laid in or along a street. The main is four inches or more in diameter with a fire hydrant attached to it. M.U.D. is responsible for water mains.

Corporation: A valve connecting the main to the water service line. M.U.D. is responsible for the corporation.

Service Line: The pipe from your house to our main. If the main is across the street, the service runs under the street. A private line connects to the closest main when there is no main adjacent to your proerty. The property owner owns and maintains the water service line.

Curb/Stop Box: Provides access to the curb stop or valve. Usually located between the back of the curb and property line. If the stop box is too high, it may be a hazard for anyone walking over it and should be lowered. You are responsible for maintenance of the stop box. It must remain accessible and operable.

Meter: Measures the amount of water used. The property owner owns the water meter. However, M.U.D. maintains it, and must have access to the meter for readings and maintenance. M.U.D. will replace it if it is defective.


Mains: Buried water pipes can break or leak. M.U.D. may find leaks on routine checks. However, if you are aware of a leak, call us at 402.554.6666. When the leak is from a main, M.U.D. will repair it.

Service Lines: M.U.D. issues notices for leaking or broken water services. Codes require that repairs be made by a master plumber, licensed by your city. Before any repairs are made, a permit from M.U.D. is required.

Your plumber determines if the water service can be repaired, or will advise you of options. You may call us to verify the type of repair needed. The property owner is responsible for making sure repairs are made.

Water will be turned off when the leaking or broken service line causes damage, is a safety hazard, or if you fail to make arrangements for repair. The property owner is responsible for disconnect charges.

Water service lines may not be relocated, repaired or modified without a permit from M.U.D. Any work must be inspected by the District.

Cold vs. Water Pipes 

When water freezes, it expands. Plan ahead to prevent the cost and mess of frozen pipes or a broken water line during winter months.

Disconnect and drain outdoor hoses. Detaching the hose allows water to drain from the pipe. A single hard, overnight freeze can burst the faucet or the pipe it’s connected to.

Allow heat to circulate around meters and pipes located in outside walls, uninsulated cabinets or other enclosed areas. Fill cracks in doors, windows and walls near water meters and pipes. Where previous freeze-ups have been a problem, a slight trickle of water from the faucet may keep a pipe from freezing.

Planning to be away for awhile? To prevent freeze-ups:

  • Keep the furnace at its normal setting.
  • Have someone briefly run all faucets daily to reduce the risk of frozen pipes.
  • Turn off your water at the Stop Box to reduce the likelihood of pipes freezing and causing damage.
  • Drain all pipes, toilets and water lines to be completely safe.

Meter safety

Your outside meters need to be clear of snow. Use a broom instead of a shovel to clear snow off regulators, meters, associated piping, tubing, gauges or other system equipment.