What to do if you smell natural gas
- Get everyone out of the building or area. Call us at 402.554.7777 or 911 from a phone not located in the building.
- If you smell an odor or know there is a damaged gas line, do not use any matches, candles, lighters, flashlights, motors or appliances. Don’t even use the light switch, telephone or cellular phone.
- If you detect a faint odor of natural gas, check the pilot lights. If the pilot light or burner flame is out, shut off the gas supply to the appliance. Allow ample time for any gas accumulation to escape before relighting.
- Have your natural gas appliances, heating system, chimney and venting systems inspected every year by a qualified heating contractor.
- Use a clean filter. Standard air filters for furnaces need to be cleaned or changed once a month, more often during the heating season. Newer filters may be washable or require less frequent changing. Check the owner’s manual.
- If a pilot light or burner flame goes out, allow ample time for any gas accumulation to escape before relighting. If the problem continues, call M.U.D. at 402.554.6666, or your heating contractor.
- Gas appliances and furnaces need fresh air for proper combustion. Combustion products need to be vented to the outdoors. Keep flues, ducts and vents attached to appliances and heating systems in good condition and clear of obstructions.
- Do not use gas ovens to heat a room or for any purpose other than cooking. It could be dangerous to your safety and may damage the range or oven.
- Teach children about safety around all household appliances.
- Each gas appliance has its own shut-off valve. Know where each is located and how to shut it off in case of a suspected gas leak.
Before you dig in your yard, call Nebraska 811 or 800.331.5666
Call at least two working days in advance, and ask for a “locate.” Utility representatives will locate and mark all underground (gas, water, electric, phone, cable) lines. There is no charge for the service. If gas lines are damaged while digging, call us immediately for repair at 402.554.7777. If water lines are damaged, call a licensed plumber.
In the event of a disaster, turn off all gas appliances as you would if you were leaving your home -- like the stove, oven, gas fireplace, etc. If there is a situation where gas needs to be shut off, M.U.D. will take care of it, and keep customers informed via the news media. An uncontrolled release of natural gas may result in fire, explosion or suffocation.
Decreased sense of smell
If you have a decreased sense of smell, you may want to buy a "natural gas sensor." Most models are available for less than $60. They are easy to install and they monitor carbon monoxide, methane (natural gas) and propane. The unit should have the UL (Underwriters Laboratory) seal of approval.
Meter Snow Removal
From: U.S. Department of Transportation
Subject: Abnormal Snow and Ice Build-up on Gas Distribution Systems
- Clear snow and ice from exhaust and combustion air vents for gas appliances to prevent accumulation of carbon monoxide in buildings or operational problems for the combustion equipment.
- Pay attention to snow and ice related situations that may cause operational problems for pressure control and other equipment.
- Monitor the accumulation of moisture in equipment and snow or ice blocking regulator or relief valve vents which could prevent regulators and relief valves from functioning properly.
- Piping on service regulator sets is susceptible to damage that could result in failure if caution is not exercised in cleaning snow from around the equipment. Where possible, use a broom, instead of a shovel to clear snow off regulators, meters, associated piping, tubing, gauges or other system appurtenances.
- Contact the gas company or designated emergency response officials if there is an odor of gas present or if gas appliances are not functioning properly. If there is a gas odor, occupants should leave the residence immediately and contact their gas company or 911.
To conserve energy and reduce heating costs, many of us have turned to wood burning fireplaces and stoves to supplement the heat we receive from our natural gas furnaces.
However, some homes often are too tight to provide adequate air for the safe operation of open-flame heating systems (fireplaces, wood, oil, propane stoves, natural gas furnaces).
After you weatherize your home, you may need to add a combustion air source to prevent backdrafting. Consult with a qualified heating contractor.
What is back drafting?
Fireplaces require lots of air. If there isn't enough air to satisfy the requirements of a fireplace or wood stove as well as a furnace or water heater all burning at the same time, the fireplace draft can pull harmful combustion products, such as carbon monoxide, from gas appliances back into the room.
The products of combustion must be continuously removed while the fireplace or stove is operating. In fact, any device that removes air from the home can contribute to backdrafting problems, including:
- Kitchen and bathroom exhaust fans
- Electric and gas clothes dryers
- Water heaters
- To check for back drafting
Start a fire in the fireplace on a cold day and after a few minutes, touch the vent pipe of the furnace, water heater or any space heater. Use caution, the vent may be very hot.
However, if the vent is cold, your fireplace may be creating a dangerous back draft.
Turn down the thermostat and water heater controls. Let the fireplace burn down (if you have glass doors on the fireplace, close them), and call a heating contractor.