Some Metropolitan Utilities District customers have contacted us to ask why the water seems to taste different. We are experiencing spring runoff. The runoff is from the upper tributaries of the Missouri River, including the James River. The increased snow melt and rainfall are contributing factors. We have adjusted our treatment processes. This may cause changes in taste and odor, however the water is still safe to drink and continues to meet all state and federal standards for drinking water. We expect this runoff and treatment process to continue for several weeks.
Although the District has not increased the amount of chlorine in the water, we have increased the amount of time the chlorine is exposed to the water before converting it to chloramines. M.U.D. carefully monitors the treatment process to ensure all standards are met.
During the treatment process, chlorine is added to water to kill bacteria, viruses and parasites that may be found in water. This process protects against cholera, typhoid, dysentery, polio and other communicable water-borne diseases.