Emergency Hotline:


24 hours a day / 7 days a week

What is an Emergency?

Gas leaks, odor of gas, damaged lines, carbon monoxide symptoms and water main breaks are all considered emergencies.

If you smell gas, do not attempt to locate the leak. Instead, leave the house or building right away. Do not use any electrical switches, appliances, lights, telephones, or mobile devices, as an electrical charge could create a spark. When you are in a safe place, call M.U.D.'s emergency hotline at 402.554.7777 or 9-1-1.

If someone is showing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, call 9-1-1 immediately. Symptoms are like the flu.

If you have a water-related emergency, call 402.554.7777. Our personnel are ready to assist you 24/7. When in doubt, call us immediately.

Learn More
Metropolitain Utilites District
I want to:

Who owns what? [gas]


A service line runs from the main in the street to the meter. We are responsible for the maintenance, repair and location of the main, service line, regulator and meter.

Residential gas meter

Property Owner

The property owner owns and maintains the fuel lines on the "house side" or downstream of the meter, including buried fuel lines. The fuel line on the "house side" begins after the meter.

If the underground fuel line is not maintained, it may be subject to potential hazards of corrosion (rust) and leaks.
Inspect the buried fuel line periodically for leaks. 
If the buried fuel line is metal, inspect it periodically for corrosion. 
Repair any unsafe condition. 

Call a qualified plumber or heating contractor to provide location, inspection and repair services for buried lines. The service line will be located at no charge when you contact Nebraska 811 by calling 811 or 800.331.5666. You can also submit via the website. When excavating near a buried fuel line, locate the line in advance and excavate by hand. Nebraska 811 does not locate buried fuel lines after the meter.